8 horses use the main barn and corral. In pastures, paddocks, corrals, and yards we feed 15 equines, 7 dogs, 11 cats, and 1 goat (more coming).
Food and Care
needed for Animals
Compassion Ranch buys food for animals mainly through Tractor Supply and Chewy.com. Donors also purchase at these stores for delivery/pick up by us.
Stores where you can buy directly for animals
Chewy.com: Give Back/Donate to a Shelter/Compassion Ranch/Wish List.
Chewy has a “Give Back” program that provides a web page for the Wish List of their foods and supplies used for animals of Compassion Ranch. Donors order online, pay privately. Chewy sends us notice of donated food or supplies on their way for free delivery. Plus, they keep a running total for how much has been donated so we can share results with partners. Some of the brands are different than those offered at Tractor Supply. The feeds tend to cost more though the ingredients often show higher quality nutritional value.
Tractor Supply: offers donors the option to purchase online and designate Compassion Ranch for pick up at the Montevallo Store. Inform us of your order. We alert them we are on our way. Tractor Supply should provide a receipt to you, and we can send a note confirming your donation.
15 equines (horses, ponies, donkeys) eat 10,000 pounds of hay most months, especially during winter. Hay provides roughage and variety plus protection from illnesses influenced by eating too much rich green grass in spring. In the photo Indy is behind two round bales of hay, which weigh about 800 pounds each.
Suppliers of Food, Materials, Supplies
You can see pictures of products on the Wish List page and add to your cart for Chewy to ship to us:
Horse feed: 1)regular pellets high in protein, fiber, fat and 2)senior feed (easier to chew…)
Medical supplements: Glucosamine for joints, arthritis
Supplies: fly repellent for equines, mane detangler, brushes…
Dog food: dry Purina One for adults and large breed adult food, plus wet food to supplement…
Cat food: dry food fish or chicken and wet food to supplement…
Goat feed: 50# bag formulated for goats
Items you can purchase online for pick up by us at the Montevallo store:
- Horse feed: 1)Purina Strategy or Tractor Supply brand DuMOR EquiStages and 2) DuMOR or Purina Senior Feed
- Cool Calories (weight gain supplement)
- Dog food: Purina One—1) Adult Skin & Coat of Sensitive System Formula; 2)Large Breed Adult
- Cat food: Purina One—1) Salmon 2)Chicken Sensitive System Formula or similar
- Goat feed: Purina Goat Feed or All Stock Feed (mix of grains for goats, horses…)
- Supplies: fence clips, fencing tools, hoof files, tractor 3 point hitch clips and stabilizer bars…
Hay Supplier (he likes to stay private)
- Round bales (800 pounds) picked up or transported to farm and put in pastures or stored. 3 per week. We pay for hay, transport, and handling.
- Hay can be donated (horses typically eat bermuda, bahia, and mixed grasses). Main supplier may not have enough due to rain.
With donations, we purchase at these stores and businesses
Marvin’s Building Supply
- Welded wire fence rolls: 5’ tall, 2×4 inch spaces, 100 feet
- T-posts 6 ½ feet
- Lumber: 4×4, 2×4, 2×6
- Gate and fencing hardware
- Sakrete 60 pound bags
- Equipment repairs: Stihl chain saw, pole saw, weed trimmer…
Garrison’s Farm and Home Center
- Pasture grass seed: special blend of grasses to help us grow year round to add food security when hay suppliers have shortages (up to 500 pounds)
- Water trough, heated water trough
- Carrots, apples
Equipment Dreams to Operate Better
(perhaps you have one of these that works well though you no longer need it and may wish to feel good donating)
- Truck to transport trailer and use off the farm so the old truck can stay on the farm
- Horse Trailer to pick up emergency rescues, help law enforcement, transport to vet hospital, travel to events
- Tractor with front end loader, backhoe, 4WD to move hay, manure, dirt, logs… plus dig watering holes, graves so animals get prompt attention and dignity
- Pressure washer to clean truck, tractor, water troughs, patio, house sides…
- Blower to clean gutters, blow leaves in front and entrance for guests and events
- Generator to use for electrical tools away from the house and barn or small quiet generator to use at the Farmhouse to support events without electricity
- Jeep for fence trails to get into spaces with tools and supplies the farm truck will not go, plus tours through woods and trails
- Riderless horse tack to use for patriotic events with horses honoring warriors who not ride again
- Horse drawn buggy
- Horse drawn wagon for pulling by 1 or 2 horses
Volunteers Have Impact on Quality of Animal Life and the Ranch used by Animals and People
- Horse: walk a horse to the trail course or training corral to practice leading and ground manners while you and the horse enjoy bonding, then brush mane and tail and/or bathe (this may be on your own or with another volunteer or while Doc trims hooves…). Enjoy connecting with a powerful animal.
- Dogs: walk a dog to a pen, play a minute or awhile, then brush and give TLC, enjoy.
- Goats: join the goat/s to play, keep them company, brush or bathe, help us improve their spaces.
- Cats: keep them company, pet one or more, help us improve or care for their spaces.
- Carpenter: advise and lead or assist building/improving/repairing animal shelters–North Pasture horse shelter (trim metal roof, build shelf, add space for barn cats… Goat Lane: help finish goat shed…Dog shed/house…Multi purpose pen needs top to use by dogs or other animals…Horse stable/shelter likely for donkeys or ponies…Main barn improvements (medical stall, door into feed and supply room…).
- Ranch Hand Labor: help us pick up logs, limbs, and sticks to stack firewood or to bonfire piles to use the wood and clean the pasture to grow grass.. We cleared thousands of dead trees and others hurting the pastures, plus more trees have fallen during storms. Clearing the limbs will help us bush hog the tall weeds and plant grass seed to grow more sustainable pasture grass for equines.
- Events: help us plan and implement programs and activities for guests or groups.