Wish List items needed
8 horses use the main barn and corral. In pastures, paddocks, corrals, yards, and barns we feed 16 equines plus 7 dogs, 10 cats, 2 goats.
You can buy Food and Supplies
needed for Animals directly
Partners who like to buy food and supplies directly for shipment to us or pick up can choose to shop with Tractor Supply, WalMart, Chewy, and Amazon. You can follow links connected to the icons to see our wish lists of favorites.
Tractor Supply: Click the icon. They may require you to take a minute to set up your online account so they can email receipts. Designate Compassion Ranch to pick up in Montevallo. If you need us to send a link to the wish list, I can help: Doc@CompassionRanch.org. If you prefer to purchase by phone directly from corporate customer solutions and have the order prepared for pick up, call 877-718-6750.
WalMart: we have a new gift registry showing foods and supplies to deliver. When we shop, we go to the Calera (AL) store most often.
Chewy.com: To shop for dog and cat supplies, click the icon. You can see priority items online, pay privately. Chewy sends us notice of donated food or supplies on their way. They do not inform us of the donor, so please let us know so we can send a receipt.
Amazon.com: shop the gift registry for supplies 8 9/10/11/12 thirteen 16.
16 equines (horses, ponies, donkeys) eat 10,000 pounds of hay most months, especially during winter. Hay provides roughage and variety. In the photo Indy is behind two round bales of hay, which weigh about 800 pounds each. Donations of money help us buy hay, plus food and supplies not donated, in addition to water, electricity, fuel, equipment, and more to serve the animals. You can have impact. Donate money for the mission and provide security for the animals.
More Info about Suppliers of Food and Materials
Items you can purchase online for pick up by us at the Montevallo store:
- Horse feed: 1)Senior feed by Triple Crown 2)Purina Strategy or DuMor EquiStages 3)Alfalfa chopped (40 lb)
- Dog food: Purina One—1) Adult Skin & Coat or Sensitive System Formula 2) canned wet food 30 / month
- Cat food: 1) Purina One—Sensitive System Formula or similar and senior feed 2) canned wet food 60 / month
- Goat feed: 1) Purina or DuMor 2) minerals 3) probiotics
- Pasture grass seed: 1) bermuda / bahia 2) winter rye
- Welded wire fence rolls: 60 inches tall, 2×4 inch spaces, 100 feet roll
- T-posts 6 ½ feet or 6 feet
- Carrots for horses
- Flea and tick spray, shampoo for dogs, wipes for cats
- Dog and cat food
- Refreshments for volunteers and guests: bottled water, coffee, juice, snacks, supplies
You can see pictures of products on the Wish List page and add to your cart for Chewy to ship to us:
Dog food: dry Purina One for adults, plus wet food…
Cat food: Purina One dry food fish or chicken, plus wet food and kitten food dry and wet
Hay Supplier (he likes to stay private)
- Round bales (800 pounds) picked up or transported to farm and put in pastures or stored. 3-4 per week. Pay for hay, transport, and handling. We seek to buy in summer straight from field so we can assure food in winter by obtaining a bigger trailer and a tractor that can lift the bales.
- Hay freshly cut or stored under cover can be donated (horses typically eat bermuda, bahia, and mixed grasses).
With donations, we also purchase at these stores and businesses
Marvin’s Building Supply
- Lumber: 4×4, 2×4, 2×6 treated wood
- Sakrete 60 pound bags
- Equipment repairs & supplies: Stihl chain saw, pole saw, weed trimmer…
Garrison’s Farm and Home Center
- Pasture grass seed: special blend of grasses to help us grow year round to add food security when hay suppliers have shortages (up to 500 pounds)
- Hay (former supplier and possible back up)
- Lime natural fertilizer
Goals & Needs plus a Few Dreams for the next level & next generation
Staffing Goals and Needs to Improve Better and Faster to Serve Another 10-20 years and prepare for future
- Building and repair with carpentry, electrical, plumbing, welding, mechanical…(afternoons and/or Saturdays).
- Ranch hand to lead on care for the land and helping for the animals focused on pastures, fencing… (afternoons, Saturdays, or full-time).
- Cleaning farmhouse, event spaces, and helping to host guests (afternoons)
- Animal care giver to feed, groom, trim, law work, assist with training and handling during events…
- Staff can help director do more and better at animal care, programs/services, tractor work digging watering holes for horses….
Construction Additions and Renovations
- Barn as home to 2 rescued cats: wire reinforcement of screens, 3 ceiling fans, safe outside access plus add stalls hayracks…
- Multi purpose pen needs top wood framing and wire fencing good for dogs or goats, foster animals, and guest animals.
- North horse shelter needs catio for 2 cats to live and protect the feed room.
- Hangar for hay and feed storage plus events: electrical work, framing, bathroom for guests helping to care for animals and land.
- Hay pole barn and pavilion so we can buy winter hay in summer straight from the field to save money and boost food security.
- Watering holes or small ponds in every pasture (purchase tractor with backhoe and front end loader for digging and stacking hay).
- Barn loft apartment for ranch hand to live close to the animals.
- Round pen for join up, training, and exercising horses and small groups for safe mounting, photos….
- Chicken coop for 4-12 laying hens to feed dogs and partners farm fresh eggs (protected by guardian dogs).
- Cabin for traveling guests above the upper pond with corral for horses.
- Horse stable with museum and event room plus arena, hay storage, apartment
Equipment Goals and Needs to Operate Better
(perhaps you have one of these that works well though you no longer need it and may wish to feel good donating to a nonprofit)
- Tractor with front end loader and forks to move hay and lumber plus backhoe for watering holes and provide dignity in death with graves.
- Truck to travel to events, appointments, pull horse trailer so the 2007 Ram truck can stay on the farm as workhorse (1st choice silver Dodge Ram 2500).
- Horse Trailer upgrades to transport safely and signage.
- Gator, Mule, or Jeep with 4 WD to travel places the small farm truck cannot with fencing supplies and tools plus take people on tours including trails.
- Horse drawn buggy or wagon.
Volunteers Have Impact on Quality of Animal Life and the Ranch used by Animals and People
- Horse: groom mane, tail, and coat in a corral or help walk a horse 1n the trail course or training corral to practice leading and ground manners while you and the horse enjoy bonding, then brush mane and tail and/or bathe (this may be on your own or with another volunteer or while Doc trims hooves…), or just sit near them and keep them company. Enjoy connecting and caring for an animal. Equine coaching can enrich life for those seeking.
- Dogs: walk, play, brush, wash, or give TLC, enjoy.
- Goats: play, brush or bathe, help us improve their spaces.
- Cats: pet, groom, help us improve or care for their spaces.
- Labor: care for the barn and pastures…help us pick up logs, limbs, and sticks to stack firewood or to bonfire piles to use the wood and clean the pasture to grow grass. We cleared thousands of dead trees and others limiting the pastures, plus more trees have fallen during storms. Clearing the limbs will help us bush hog the tall weeds and plant grass seed to grow more sustainable pasture grass for equines.
Thanks for reading more of goals and needs! You can donate to have impact