Wish List items needed
10 horses and ponies use the main barn and corral. In pastures, paddocks, corrals, yards, and barns we feed 16 equines plus 6 dogs, 12 cats, 2 goats.
You can buy Food and Supplies
needed for Animals directly
Partners who like to buy food and supplies directly for shipment to us or pick up can choose to shop with Tractor Supply, WalMart, Chewy, and Amazon. You can follow links connected to the icons to see our wish lists of favorites.
WalMart: we have a new gift registry showing dog and cat foods and supplies to deliver. When we shop, we go to the Calera (AL) store most often.
Chewy.com: To shop for dog and cat supplies, click the icon. You can see priority items online, pay privately. Chewy sends us notice of donated food or supplies on their way. They do not inform us of the donor, so please let us know so we can send a receipt.
Amazon.com: shop the gift registry for supplies.
Tractor Supply: Click the icon to purchase food for horses, donkeys, goats. They may require you to take a minute to set up your online account so they can email receipts. Designate Compassion Ranch to pick up in Montevallo. If you prefer to purchase by phone directly from corporate customer solutions and have the order prepared for pick up, you can call 877-718-6750.
16 equines (horses, ponies, donkeys) eat 10,000 pounds of hay most months, especially during winter. Hay provides roughage and variety. In the photo Indy is behind two round bales of hay, which weigh about 800 pounds each. Donations of money help us buy hay, plus food and supplies not donated, in addition to water, electricity, fuel, equipment, and more to serve the animals. You can have impact. Donate money for the mission and provide security for the animals.
More Info about Suppliers of Food and Materials
Items you can purchase online for pick up by us at the Montevallo store:
- Horse feed: 1)Senior feed by Triple Crown 2)Purina Strategy, DuMor EquiStages or Maintenance, Sweet Feed 3)Alfalfa chopped (40 lb/bag) 4)snacks
- Dog food: Purina One—1) Adult Skin & Coat or Sensitive System Formula 2) canned wet food 30 / month 3) dog biscuits
- Cat food: 1) Purina One—Sensitive System Formula or similar and senior feed 2) canned wet food 60 / month
- Goat feed: 1) Purina or DuMor 2) probiotic pellets
- Pasture grass seed: 1) bermuda 2) winter rye 3) bahia
- Welded wire fence rolls: 60 inches tall, 2×4 inch spaces, 100 feet roll
- Wood posts: 4-5 inch round x 8 feet
- T-posts 6 ½ feet or 6 feet
- Carrots for horses
- Flea and tick spray, shampoo for dogs, wipes for cats
- Refreshments for students, volunteers, guests: bottled water, coffee, juice, snacks, paper towels
You can see pictures of products on the Wish List page and add to your cart for Chewy to ship to us:
- Dog food: Purina One dry food for adults 2) large breed with joint support 3) wet food…
Cat food: Purina One dry food fish or chicken, plus wet food and kitten food dry and wet
(he likes to stay private)
- Round bales (800 pounds) picked up or transported to farm and put in pastures or stored. 3-4 per week. Pay for hay, transport, and handling. We seek to buy in summer straight from field so we can assure food in winter by obtaining a bigger trailer and a tractor that can lift the bales.
- Hay freshly cut or stored under cover can be donated (horses typically eat bermuda, bahia, and mixed grasses).
With donations, we also purchase vet services, medicines, food and supplies at these stores and businesses
Marvin’s Building Supply
- Lumber: treated 1) 4×4″x8′ 2)2×4″x8′ 3)2×6″x10′ 4)2×6″x8′
- Qwikrete/Sakrete: 1) 40 pound bags 2) 60 pound bags
- Equipment repairs & supplies: Stihl chain saw, pole saw, weed trimmer, bar oil, saw cleaner
- Farm gate hinges
Garrison’s Farm and Home Center
- Pasture grass seed: help us grow year round to add food security when hay suppliers have shortages
- Hay (former supplier and back up)
- Lime natural fertilizer
Goals & Needs plus a Few Dreams for the next level & next generation
Staffing Goals and Needs to Improve Better and Faster to Serve Another 10-20 years and prepare for future
Staff can help director do more and better at animal care, programs/services, tractor work digging watering holes for horses….
- Building and repair with carpentry, electrical, plumbing, welding, mechanical…(afternoons and/or Saturdays).
- Ranch hand to lead on care for the land: focused on pastures, trees, fencing… (afternoons, Saturdays, or full-time).
- Cleaning farmhouse, event spaces, and helping to host guests (afternoons)
- Animal care giver to feed, groom, trim, assist with training and handling during events…
- Administration: receipts, mailing lists, budgets, help with grant application docs, taxes
- Funding Money for the Mission: grant writing, social media pages, events, assist with advancement, publications
- Web and Tech: web sites, graphics, photography, video, editing, publications, print production, online services
Construction Additions and Renovations
- Barn upgrade: stalls with troughs, racks, and ceiling fans; pens, corral…home to rescued cats, wire reinforcement of screens, safe outside access
- Multi purpose pen needs top wood framing and wire fencing good for foster animals and guest animals.
- Horse stable with museum and gallery, event room, arena, hay storage, stalls, medical lab and treatment, apartment
- Hangar for storage: electrical work, framing, studio apartment for ranch hand helping to care for animals and land, vehicles
- Hay pole barn and pavilion so we can buy winter hay in summer straight from the field to save money and boost food security, events in rainy weather
- Watering holes or small ponds in every pasture (purchase tractor with backhoe and front end loader for digging and stacking hay).
- North horse shelter needs catio for 2 cats to live and protect the feed room.
- Round pen for join up, training, and exercising horses and small groups for safe mounting, photos….
- Cabin for traveling guests above the upper pond with corral for horses.
Equipment Goals and Needs to Operate Better
(perhaps you have one of these that works well though you no longer need it and may wish to feel good donating to a nonprofit)
- Tractor with front end loader and forks to move hay and lumber plus backhoe for watering holes and provide dignity in death with graves.
- Truck to travel to events, appointments, pull horse trailer so the 2007 Ram truck can stay on the farm as workhorse (1st choice silver Dodge Ram 2500).
- Trailer to transport tractor and hay–double axle 20 feet long and 8 feet wide.
Volunteers Have Impact on Quality of Animal Life and the Ranch used by Animals and People
- Horses: groom mane, tail, and coat in a corral or walk a horse leading and teaching ground manners while you and the horse enjoy bonding (this may be on your own or with another volunteer or while Doc trims hooves…), or just sit near them. Enjoy connecting and caring for animals.
- Dogs: walk, play, brush, wash, or give TLC, enjoy.
- Goats: play, brush or bathe, help us care for their spaces.
- Cats: pet, groom, help us improve or care for their spaces.
- Labor: help us pick up logs, limbs, and sticks to stack firewood or to bonfire piles to use the wood and clean the pasture to grow grass.
- Chain saw work: clear saplings from ponds and fences.
Thanks for reading more of goals and needs! You can donate to have impact